Those Eskies Blog - Living with American Eskimo Dogs

Those Eskies Blog is dedicated to my American Eskimo Dogs: Angie and Buddy. Angie is an American Eskimo miniature and Buddy is an American Eskimo standard size mix. You can find here information about those smart, intelligent and full of energy dogs, pictures and read about living with Eskies under one roof.

I am an American Eskimo! Therefore I am not....

There are so many myths about me, that being American Eskimo dog, I decided that it's about time to tell everybody who I am not!
First things first, I am an American Eskimo dog named Angie. I live with my bigger brother Buddy and our human mom in Chicago. When we go for a walk, people often confuse us with different dog breeds or even other animals.

I am an American Eskimo! Therefore I am not...


I am not a little Samoyed!

Samoyed / Picture Credit: Pixabay

I have to admit we look so similar, but no, that's not me. We both belong to the Spitz family, but we are different dogs.
Samoyeds are a larger size, herding, working dogs. We (Eskies) are smaller in size and we are companion dogs(not hunting).



I am not white Pomeranian!

Pomeranian / Picture Credit: Flickr
How many times have you heard: "O, what a cute Pomeranian!". Nnoooooo, I am an American Eskimo, not Pom! Pomeranians and Eskies belong to the Spitz family, but they are different dogs. In many counties Poms are known as "Dwarf-Spitz", and because of their size, they are classed to a toy bread. My mom says that I am as moody as Pom - no mom, I am a good dog!


I am not a polar bear!

Polar Bear / Picture Credit: Flickr

I must say, my bigger brother Buddy, looked just like one when he was a puppy. People often turned heads on us and compared him to a polar bear. Now, when he is an adult, he sleeps like a white bear sometimes and momma says it looks so funny.


I am not an arctic fox!

Arctic Foxes / Picture Credit: Pixabay
You have to give me a credit, I can be like chameleon and look like one of those foxes :) I even have read the story about lady in China, who thought she bought white puppy American Eskimo, but later cute Eskie turn magically into white fox and she had to gave "puppy" up to the zoo ;) My mom sometimes calls me: white fox ;)


I am not the dog, who was living among Eskimos!

Igloo / Picture Credit: Flickr
Eskimos had nothing to do with the founding of the breed. I am a companion dog, not sled type. That credit should go to Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, and Alaskan Huskies. But because I am white, fluffy, have lots of hair and love snow people came to the wrong conclusion.


I am not really American!

Photo by Fischer Twins on Unsplash
My origin name was German Spitz and (as you can now easily guess) I came from Germany. German name was changed to "American Eskimo" Dog, after the name used by a Spitz breeding kennel in Ohio.


Therefore I am an American Eskimo
(aka German Spitz, Eskimo Spitz, American Spitz, Eskie)

Angie, an American Eskimo dog

Read also: Basic Info about American Eskimo dogs

Post a Comment